Thoughts on Steel Beasts Switching from DirectX to OpenGL

• As we most likely know, the next version of Steel Beasts will use OpenGL instead of DirectX. I've looked around, and after thinking about it, I believe that it makes sense. DirectX 11 may be backwards compatible with DirectX 9 hardware, but not Windows XP, which to my knowledge the majority of military computers running Steel Beasts Pro still use. OpenGL ensures compatibility with Windows XP and every Windows version that has come out since, securing the future of the simulator in its primary work environment.

Or does it? OpenGL has a troubled past. For a time, it lagged behind DirectX. Microsoft's dirty tactics didn't help, but the rise of DirectX fueled a vicious cycle which led to more programmers being available for DirectX and more developers using it, which led to more programs using it, which led to graphics card drivers being improved, which led to more developers using DirectX and more programmers being needed. What Microsoft's haters miss is that Microsoft had help from OpenGL's own mistakes, the most prominent being the OpenGL 3.0 debacle. Khronos Group, the consortium that develops OpenGL, had promised that OpenGL 3.0 would be a radical upgrade from OpenGL 2.1. At first, they kept developers informed. But then, they suffered delays and instituted a media blackout. Thus, they did not tell anyone about what was to come. When OpenGL 3.0 finally arrived, almost all of the major improvements had been ripped out, and a dependency on DirectX 10 capable hardware had been inserted. Developers rioted at what they saw as lies about major improvements and dependency placed on hardware that would only be used on the bad, not-yet-revised Windows Vista, and it proved a fatal blow, as DirectX 11 made its rise after the failure that was DirectX 10.

In my looking around, I came to a disturbing realization: when Ssnake said that

Zitat

What may not noticeably affect the frame rate on one machine may have a bigger impact on another. So we need to find a balance, obviously.

he did not mention that this variation in performance was because of this switch to OpenGL. Given his lack of competence in computer matters, I'm inclined to believe that this omission was accidental. What do I mean by the variation in performance is because of OpenGL? Remember when I said that DirectX's rise resulted in improved graphics card drivers for it as the result of a vicious cycle? OpenGL's fall has resulted in the opposite cycle, and graphics card drivers being not as good with OpenGL as they are with DirectX, offsetting OpenGL's power advantage and resulting in inconsistently good performance across platforms. AMD graphics cards are the worst case of this that I know of, with one OpenGL-based graphics engine that I know of being at first completely unable to run on AMD graphics cards. The engine was improved, but AMD graphics cards still cause more bugs than Nvidia cards.

Personally, I think Steel Beasts should have stuck with DirectX 9 until enough military computers upgraded to Windows 7 to justify updating the graphics engine to DirectX 11. At least Ssnake would not have had the opportunity to demonstrate dissonance by declaring that "we can't ignore the improved capabilities of modern graphics cards" while eSimGames demonstrated that deliberate ignorance (for a good reason: to maintain compatibility with old hardware) by using DirectX 9.0c, which has been around since 2006.

• And it was a false alarm: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbf…php?p=223583&postcount=45 Ssnake admits that he messed up about the new rendering engine using OpenGL. His technical incompetence sure had us going. He admits that

Zitat

While I don't want to say that these technical matters are entirely irrelevant, I am not ashamed to say that I leave details like that to the lead programmer and the engine developer.

So why didn't he confirm the technical details with those people before mentioning them?

Edit: he also said that it is a game from 1999, and that it is receiving its second graphics engine. No, if he is counting the original Steel Beasts, then this new engine is the third: http://www.simhq.com/_land3/images/steel_beasts_timeline.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Chuikov () aus folgendem Grund: Additional correction added

• And once again, Ssnake shows what an inconsiderate person he is by declaring KITT's experience with OpenGL to be "idle speculation" http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbf…php?p=223847&postcount=51 I'd send in a complaint to eSimGames via their contact form, but odds are it would just go to Ssnake's email. Even if it didn't, Al Delaney condones Ssnake's misbehavior, or else Ssnake would have been fired years ago. So sending a complaint would be pointless.

• And once again, Ssnake shows what an inconsiderate person he is by declaring KITT's experience with OpenGL to be "idle speculation" http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbf…php?p=223847&postcount=51 I'd send in a complaint to eSimGames via their contact form, but odds are it would just go to Ssnake's email. Even if it didn't, Al Delaney condones Ssnake's misbehavior, or else Ssnake would have been fired years ago. So sending a complaint would be pointless.

Hi Chuikov,

if you have a problem with Ssnake, I suggest, write him an e-mail and
    please, do not use this forum to plant dispeace in our community
    (I assume, that most of the people here, do not have the slightest problem with Ssnake).

By
    Hoover

Erklärung und sinngemäße Übersetzung:
    Da Chuikov über SSnake herzieht
    ("...und wieder einmal zeigt SSnake welch unüberlegter Mensch er ist, indem er...")
    habe ich ihm sinngemäß geantwortet, dass wenn er ein Problem mit SSnake hat,
    er dies mit ihm selber (per E-Mail) ausmachen solle. Weiter habe ich im geschrieben,
    er möchte bitte hier keinen Unfrieden sähen. Ich habe ihm außerdem mitgeteilt, dass
    ich annehme, dass die meisten Leute hier keinerlei Problem mit SSnake haben.

• Hoover, I do thank you for being open about what you think I should do. I am thinking about it, but am not confident that writing an email to Ssnake would have a point. We did not get along at all back when I was still on the steelbeasts.com forum, and because of this I fear that writing an email to him will merely result in a self justifying rant being sent to me in reply. That is why I have posted in this forum, not to spread dispeace, but to protest his behavior in a manner which is not pointless. You assume that most of the people here do not have the slightest problem with Ssnake. I wonder what they think of him now after my posts?

Edit: After much thought, I have decided to send the email, but to eSimGames directly via their contact form.

• The good news: The email exchange didn't explode in a fireball.
    The bad news: Ssnake just plays the blame game, insists that it is impossible to clear up the points, and without explanation blames me for that. Claims everything I complained about was a matter of interpretation, which is a lie. He isn't replying to my follow-up email, where-among other things-I ask why it is impossible to clear up the points. I sent the email via eSimGames' contact form, and it just landed in Ssnake's inbox. I told you emailing Ssnake was likely to be pointless, Hoover. There's no way to appeal over the head of Mr. "Play the Blame Game", and there's no hope for the community, which is a zombie for the most part, consisting of the same old people who delude themselves into thinking their community isn't on life support. By labeling me as a spreader of "dispeace", you just show yourself as one of Ssnake's sycophants. Where were the rest of you when KITT was falsely accused of racism on the steelbeasts.com forums? Why didn't you do anything? I thought I had friends here in this community. I was wrong.