Will Our Community Ever Grow and Become Non-Toxic?

• I ask this question because as it stands now, it doesn't seem that way. The only way our community can get past the luring newbies in followed by implicit newbie-bashing on the SB.com forums, cobrabase's ripping off dpabrams' mission (who did not give him permission to release the modified mission as his own), dpsbrams himself being a jerk to someone pointing out how a topic is starting to break a rule, and elitist comments on Rock Paper Shotgun articles falsely implying that interest is always correlated with monetary commitment (if that were so, browser games would not exist) is if the simulator receives far more attention and the new players that come with it, so that the coffee clique culture is broken as more people stand up against this bad behavior, and if necessary create their own separate general SB communities that treat people right, or migrate to the VU communities to make them even more relevant.

This just isn't going to happen without the current marketing director and future director of eSim Games Deutschland GmbH going out of the picture and being replaced, or us taking our own action. Those of you who remember me in my far less mature days will know that there's bad blood between me and Ssnake, but in recent months he's managed to drive me up the wall even when I've made a conscious effort to avoid interacting him for the past 3 years. Whether he's falsely accusing KITT of racism (how could KITT be racist if he was referring to a political group, rather than an ethinic group? It's possible he did just that, but he wasn't specific, so we don't know what he meant), screaming at rasputin for try to be helpful by finding something Ssnake could have found in 10 seconds with Google, getting defensive at Apocalypse31 for requesting a little more love for the non-military opportunities (most of the time we're still getting no love compared to his precious military contracts, by his own figures of 5-10% sales for Pro PE, that still means 90-95% for the military contracts), oozing butthurt in the "The new graphics engine" topic that he has to change his precious engine (he puts out so much of it in his tone that you can taste it), and acting xenophobic toward any business opportunities outside of his beloved military contracts, it's clear that this sim will never be relevant even within a genre that's bordering on irrelevancy as long as this xenophobic manchild is in charge of resales and driving forum lurkers away from our passion, and as long as we stand by and say nothing. Which is why I'm speaking up here, where Ssnake is present but has no cronies he can depend on and no sheep to be bludgeoned into sycophancy with tl;dr rants. (And for those of you who remember my last post on the SB.com forums, I'm a man of my word, which is another reason I'm posting this here)

This peerless simulator deserves a wider audience, xenophobia about COD kiddies aside, and it's time we realized and acted on this reality: Since we have no control over pricing and eSim Games' own marketing of Steel Beasts Pro PE, it's time we "Ask not what marketing eSim Games can do for us, ask what marketing we can do for eSim Games."

P.S. Ssnake's spreading of technical misinformation, such as declaring the K in Intel Core ix-xxxxK processors to designate quad cores in daskal's system requirements topic, and implying that Shader Model 3.0 made its debut with DirectX 11 (it made its debut with DirectX 9.0c) doesn't help his case either. If I were Al Delaney, I would be concerned about his technical knowledge.

• Warten Sie....

UND WEHE es kommt hier jemand mit google translator um die Ecke. Wer nicht warten kann soll das für sich darüber machen, aber bitte bitte nicht hier veröffentlichen (Augenkrebs).

Edit: Also "richtig" übersetzt bekomm ich's nicht zu 100%. Aber sinngemäß etwa sowas wie

--- ÜBERSETZUNG ANFANG ---
    Wird unsere Gemeinschaft jemands wachsen und ungifgtig [Anm. gemeint ist wohl 'umgänglicher'] werden?

Ich stelle diese Frage, denn wie es momentan aussieht, sieht es nicht danach aus. Der einzige Weg [Anm. oder einzige Möglichkeit] ... [den restlichen Satz verstehe ich leider nicht], cobrabase nimmt ein Szenario von dpabrams ausseinander (der ihm nicht die Erlaubnis erteilt hat, eine modifizierte Version zu veröffentlichen), dpabrams selbst benimmt sich wie ein Trottel indem er jemand anderem gegenüber aufzeigt wie sich ein Thema [Anm. gemeint ist wohl Forenthread] in einen Regelverstoß entwickelt und elitist kommentiert den Artikel auf Rock Paper Shotgun [Anm. Eigenname] damit, dass er fälschlicherweise unterstellt, dass Interesse immer mit finazieller Aufwendung zusammenhängt (wäre dem so, gäbe es keine Browser Spiele) ... [Anm. verstehe ich nicht] die Simulation bekommt wesentlich mehr Aufmerksamkeit und damit neue Spieler, so dass die Kaffee Kränzchen-Kultur [Anm. Mentalität?] zerstört ist, wenn mehr Leute sich gegen dieses schlechte Verhalten auflehnen, und sofern notwendig, ihre eigene seperate SB Gemeinschaft gründen, die Leute korrekt behandeln oder in andere VU Gemeinschaften eintreten um diese noch wichtiger zu machen. [Anm. der ganze Absatz ist schlimm und ergibt wenig Sin für mich]

... [Es folgt ein Absatz mit Beispielen wie Ssnake mit an der Situation beteiligt ist, er hätte ja schon früher ein schwieriges Verhältnis zwischen ihm und Ssnake betsnaden, das wär jetzt aber alles noch schlimmer usw. usf. Interessant wird's dann wieder ab hier:] Deswegen melde ich mich hier zu Wort, wo Ssnake zwar anwesend ist, aber keine Kumpane hat, auf die er zählen kann und kein Schaf, das mit tl;dr [Anm. kein Plan] Schimpftriarden in die Speichelleckerei geknüppelt werden kann. (Und für diejenigen unter euch, die sich an meinen letzten Beitrag im SB.com forum erinnern, ich stehe zu meinen Wort, was ein weiterer Grund dafür ist, wehalb ich dies hier schreibe)

Diese einzigartige Simulation verdient ein größeres Publikum [Anm. im Sinne von 'mehr Interessenten'], begleitet von deutlicher Abgrenzung gegenüber [Anm. Originalübersetzung Xenophobia = Fremdenfeindlichkeit] COD [Anm. Call of Duty] Kindern und es ist an der Zeit, dass wir diese Tatsache begreifen und danach handeln: solange wir keine Kontrolle über die Preispolitik und eSim Games' eigenes Marketing für Steel Beasts Pro PE haben, sollte unsere Devise sein: "Fragt nicht was das Marketing von eSim Games für uns macht, fragt was wir für das Marketing für eSim Games tun können."

PS: ... [nochmal nachtreten in Richtung Ssnake und technischen Falschinformationen, die er verbreitet haben soll]
    ---- ENDE ÜBERSETZUNG ---

Uff... Wer mich verbessern mag, nur zu. Ist nicht das gelbe von Ei, aber sinngemäß sollte es hinkommen.

• Dear Chuikov,

I tried to understand your post and I'm not sure, if i found out what your point is (if there is any?). It seems to me that you're very dissatisfied about some social interaction inside the community, especially in the SB.com forum and also the interaction between eSim Games and the Community!? Well, I am administrator of the german Steel Beasts site, but not talking for the whole german community here but for myself and my own point of view. I can't comment any of your links, because I'm not involved in that discussions nor I can't or want comment your personal problems with Ssnake.

I surely disagree with some decisions of eSim Games, such as making nearly no marketing at all for Steel Beasts or publishing new vehicles instead of fixing major bugs (the flying tanks while towing bug exists since years!). But I think the community have learn to cope with such decisions. On the other hand I'm very glad for Ssnake's detailed insights in the development process, making me understanding some (not all) of the decisions.

You wrote

Zitat

Since we have no control over pricing and eSim Games' own marketing of Steel Beasts Pro PE [...]

That can't be the communities goal at all, don't you think? The community will never have ANY control over pricing or marketing. We are talking about a commercial product developed and merchandised by a company. The only way we (the community) can control anything is to buy or not to buy. Easy as that.
    But I don't think this is your intention. I read your post in the way your are asking for support to push Steel Beasts popularity. Am I right?

In this case I can tell you that I'm putting my shoulder on the wheel. I actualy spend a lot of time for a new community webpage. It's not done yet but hopefully still this year. I wrote some lines about in this Thread at SB.com some time ago. I also established the twitteraccount "@SteelBeasts" (also the hashtag #steelbeasts is not in use!) and a YouTube channel.
    Well, my commitment in the german community takes a lot of time and finally I have to earn money. My day has only 24 hours. Good marketing need manpower and if you don't have it, it needs time to gain knowledge and time to try out things.
    The german community is planning an open day in january next year. For this I have wrote advertise posts in german game forums with hundreds of thousands registered users. If we can gain 10 interested people and 1 or 2 of them stays with us and with this peerless software, I'll count that as success. As a side-effect Steel Beasts will gain more popularity. By the way Ssnake (read as eSim Games) is supporting this event with some licences to borrow and I'm pretty sure, if we gain more than 10 people Ssnake will do this again.

So calm down, it is not as bad as it seems. I see progress in the development side and as long as we have some committed users in our community everything will be fine.

Maybe I misinterpreted your post. If so, give me a hint and I try to to find out your point.

• Dear Chuikov,

I tried to understand your post and I'm not sure, if i found out what your point is (if there is any?). It seems to me that you're very dissatisfied about some social interaction inside the community, especially in the SB.com forum and also the interaction between eSim Games and the Community!? Well, I am administrator of the german Steel Beasts site, but not talking for the whole german community here but for myself and my own point of view. I can't comment any of your links, because I'm not involved in that discussions nor I can't or want comment your personal problems with Ssnake.

I surely disagree with some decisions of eSim Games, such as making nearly no marketing at all for Steel Beasts or publishing new vehicles instead of fixing major bugs (the flying tanks while towing bug exists since years!). But I think the community have learn to cope with such decisions. On the other hand I'm very glad for Ssnake's detailed insights in the development process, making me understanding some (not all) of the decisions.

Yes, his insights are detailed, that is not in question. However, it is his behavior that is not tolerable and could drive people away. KITT was just one example: others could follow in the future.

Zitat

That can't be the communities goal at all, don't you think? The community will never have ANY control over pricing or marketing. We are talking about a commercial product developed and merchandised by a company. The only way we (the community) can control anything is to buy or not to buy. Easy as that.

Of course we have no control over those. I'm saying that we should should take advantage-after all these years-of what control we do have to get the word out.

Zitat

But I don't think this is your intention. I read your post in the way your are asking for support to push Steel Beasts popularity. Am I right?

100% correct.

Zitat

In this case I can tell you that I'm putting my shoulder on the wheel. I actualy spend a lot of time for a new community webpage. It's not done yet but hopefully still this year. I wrote some lines about in this Thread at SB.com some time ago. I also established the twitteraccount "@SteelBeasts" (also the hashtag #steelbeasts is not in use!) and a YouTube channel.
    Well, my commitment in the german community takes a lot of time and finally I have to earn money. My day has only 24 hours. Good marketing need manpower and if you don't have it, it needs time to gain knowledge and time to try out things.
    The german community is planning an open day in january next year. For this I have wrote advertise posts in german game forums with hundreds of thousands registered users. If we can gain 10 interested people and 1 or 2 of them stays with us and with this peerless software, I'll count that as success. As a side-effect Steel Beasts will gain more popularity. By the way Ssnake (read as eSim Games) is supporting this event with some licences to borrow and I'm pretty sure, if we gain more than 10 people Ssnake will do this again.

Fantastic! I was aware of the open day, but didn't know about your marketing efforts. Things like this are what I was thinking of. I've personally been waiting for screenshots and videos of the next major version, so that the beter graphics can make the product look even better, before I start my own marketing efforts.

Zitat

So calm down, it is not as bad as it seems. I see progress in the development side and as long as we have some committed users in our community everything will be fine.

The progress of the development side was never in question, I just didn't see much in the SB.com community.

• ...und nun das bitte auch übersetzen ;)

Schon blöd, wenn man kein Englisch kann, ne? Okay... ich hab ja sonst nix besseres zu tun.

--- ÜBERSETZUNG ANFANG ---

Lieber Chuikov,

ich habe versucht deinen Beitrag zu verstehen und bin mir nicht sicher, ob ich weiss worauf du hinaus willst. Es hat für mich den Anschein, dass du sehr unzufrieden über den Umgang miteinander innerhalb der Gemeinschaft, insbsondere im SB.com Forum als auch über die Zusammenarbeit/das Zusammenspiel zwischen eSim Games und der Gemeinschaft bist. Nun, ich bin Administrator der deutschen Steel Beasts Seite, aber ich spreche hier nicht für die gesamte deutsche Gemeinschaft, sondern nur für mich selbst und über meine eigene Sicht der Dinge. Ich kann deine Links nicht kommentieren, da ich nicht an diesen Diskussionen beteiligt bin noch kann oder will ich deine persönlichen Probleme mit Ssnake kommentieren.

Sicherlich bin ich nicht mit jeder Entscheidung von eSim Games einverstanden, wie zum Beispiel so gut wie gar keine Werbung [Anm. eigentlich bezeichnet 'marketing' etwas anderes als Werbung - wenigstens in der deutschen sprache, aber das führt jetzt zu weit] für Steel Beasts zu machen oder neue Fahzeuge zu veröffentlichen anstatt bedeutende Fehler zu beheben (der Fehler mit den fliegenden Panzern beim abschleppen besteht seit Jahren!). Ich meine aber, die Gemeinschaft musss lernen mit solchen Entscheidungen klar zu kommen. Andererseits bin ich sehr froh über Ssnake's detailierte Einblicke in den Entwicklungsprozess, der mir dabei hilft manche (nicht alle) Entscheidungen zu verstehen.

Du schriebst

"Solange wir keine Kontolle über die Preisgestaltung und eSim Games' eigenes Marketing für Steel Beasts haben [...]"
    Das kann absolut nicht das Ziel der Gemeinschaft sein, meinst du nicht auch? Die Gemeinschaft wird niemals IRGENDEINE Kontrolle über Preisgestaltung und Marketing haben. Wir sprechen hier über ein kommerzielles Produkt, entwickelt und vertrieben von einer Firma. Der einzige Weg wie wir (die Gemeinschaft) irgendwas kontrollieren können ist zu kaufen oder nicht zu kaufen. So einfach ist das.
    Aber ich glaube, das war nicht deine Absicht. Ich verstehe deinen Beitrag dahingehend, dass du um Unterstützung dafür bittest, die Popularität von Steel Beasts zu erhöhen.

In diesem Fall kann ich dir mitteilen, dass ich mich ins Zeug lege. Momentan investiere ich viel Zeit in eine neue Community Webseite. Momentan ist sie noch nicht fertig, aber hoffentlich noch dieses Jahr. Ich habe vor einiger Zeit darüber ein paar Zeilen in diesem Beitrag bei SB.com geschrieben. Ich habe auch das Twitterkonto "@SteelBeasts" eingerichtet (das hashtag "'#steelbeasts" wird nicht verwendet!) ebenso wie einen YouTube Kanal.
    Nun, mein engagement in der deutschen Gemeinschaft ist sehr zeitintensiv und schlußendlich muss ich auch noch Geld verdienen. Mein Tag hat nur 24 Stunden. Gute Werbung braucht Leute [Anm. eigentlich 'Personal'] und wenn man die nicht hat dauert es seine Zeit sich Wissen anzueignen und Dinge auszuprobieren.
    Die deutsche Gemeinschaft plant einen Tag der offenen Tür im Januar nächstes Jahr. Dafür habe ich Werbebeiträge in deutschen Spiele Foren verfasst, die hundertausende registrierte Mitglieder haben. Wenn wir 10 Interessenten gewinnen können und 1 oder 2 von denen bleiben bei uns und bei dieser einzigartigen Software, werte ich das als Erfolg. Und ganz nebenbei steigt die Popularität von Steel Beasts. Ganz nebenbei bemerkt unterstützt Ssnake (also eSim Games) diese Veranstaltung mit einigen Leihlizenzen und ich bin ziemlich sicher, falls wir mehr als 10 Interessenten haben, wird er das wieder tun.

Also mach dich locker, es ist nicht so schlimm wie es aussieht. Ich erkenne Fortschritte auf der Entwicklungsseite und solange wir einige engagierte Mitglieder in unserer Gemeinschaft haben wird alles gut.

Möglicherweise habe ich deinen Beitrag falsch verstanden. In dem Fall gib mir doch bitte einen Hinweis und ich versuche herauszufinden, worum es dir geht.

---- ENDE ÜBERSETZUNG ---

Und weil die Frage ja sowieso kommt:
    In seiner Antwort bestätigt er mir im wesentlichen, dass ich seinen Beitrag richtig verstanden habe und bestätigt meine Sichtweise, weist aber darauf hin, dass es ihm wohl um Ssnakes Verhalten ginge, dass er als inakzeptabel (nicht zu tolerieren) bezeichnet und Leute vergrault. KITT sei nur ein Beispiel, andere könnten ihm zukünftig folgen.

Er hat von unserem Tag der offenen Tür gehört, wusste aber nichts davon, was ich gerade am basteln bin. Wie er das findet, brauch ich wohl nicht übersetzen? Er selber wartet jedoch die ersten Screenshots und Videos des kommenden Updates ab bevor er selbst irgendwelche Aktionen startet.

Weiterhin stellt er den Fortschritt der Entwicklungsseite (bezogen auf die Software) nicht in Frage, er sieht nur kaum Fortschritt auf SB.com